Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer
Talented Representation for Accident VictimsContact for a free consultation
Personal Injury Specialists
Slip-and-fall accidents can occur almost anywhere in Atlanta. You might be wandering down the aisle of the grocery store, walking across a parking lot, or going for an evening stroll around your neighborhood. After a slip-and-fall accident, victims are often embarrassed, hoping that nobody saw them flee the scene as soon as possible.
If you were injured in a trip-and-fall accident, you are far from alone. These types of accidents send over a million people to emergency rooms every year in the US. Slip-and-falls remain one of the top reasons behind personal injury lawsuits, and with good reason: a slip-and-fall can have a long-range impact on your health and your financial security.
If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you don’t have to suffer in silence. Wilson Rowley Trial Lawyers For Justice has helped residents of Atlanta, GA, recover maximum financial compensation for their slip-and-fall injuries. Contact our trusted law firm at 844-JOE-WINS, or fill out the contact form on our website.
How is Liability Established in Atlanta, GA Slip and Fall Cases?
The majority of slip and fall cases are filed on the basis of premises liability laws. These laws require that land or property owners keep each property safe and maintained. Most tripping or slipping injuries in Atlanta could’ve been easily avoided had the property owners kept their properties free of hazards while exercising reasonable care.
If you were injured on someone else’s property, financial compensation after your accident does not come automatically. You should have a respected legal team on your side with expertise in Georgia law and premises liability.
In order to hold a property owner liable for you or your loved one’s injuries, your attorney will need to demonstrate the following elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: The word “duty” refers to the legal obligation that all property owners have towards those who enter the premises in question. For instance, a business owner has the legal responsibility to keep the business property free of hazards for customers who are invited to enter. Your lawyer will need to establish that the defendant had a responsibility toward you to regularly inspect the property and keep it safe.
- Breach of duty: Your slip and fall attorney will next need to demonstrate how the property owner breached that duty of care. A breach takes place when a business or property owner fails to act within a reasonable time frame to correct a dangerous condition that he or she either knew about or should have known about. For instance, a handrail may have been broken but the person responsible failed to fix or warn property visitors.
- The breach caused the injury: Finally, your attorney will need to establish how the breach of care directly caused your injuries. After all of these elements are established, your Atlanta, Georgia, personal injury lawyer will be able to pursue a financial settlement on your behalf.
Common Causes of Slip-and-Fall Accidents in Atlanta
There are a wide variety of hazards that can cause slip-and-fall accidents in Georgia. The following are among the most common:
Wet and uneven walking surfaces
Flooring conditions are one of the leading causes of slip-and-fall accidents, not only here in Atlanta, but around the world. Conditions that lead to injury include:
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Loose floorboards or mats
- Uneven flooring, pavement, or other surfaces
- Potholes in walkways or parking lots
- Poorly constructed staircases
- Unsalted icy sidewalks
- Spilled liquid that hasn’t been cleaned up
Slip-and-fall accidents on wet or uneven walking surfaces can happen in a domestic, commercial, industrial, or public place. An Atlanta slip and fall lawyer can make sure that you get the financial compensation you deserve after your accident. At Wilson Rowley Trial Lawyers For Justice, no case is too small or too complex – contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Many people in Atlanta, Georgia, use elevators and escalators every day in their places of employment or at other businesses. Most of the time people get on and off and without a problem, but elevators and escalators can cause serious harm when they malfunction.
Some examples of malfunctions leading to injury include:
- Mis-leveling of an elevator
- An elevator or escalator coming to a sudden stop
- A defective elevator step
- Elevator doors closing too rapidly
- A broken elevator handrail
Handrails are an important means of support to people walking downhill, in stairways, or along uneven surfaces. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident due to a broken handrail, you deserve to be compensated. Contact a trusted Atlanta slip and fall attorney at our law firm today to discuss your injury claim and explore your legal options.
Inadequate lighting in a parking lot, stairwell, corridor, or other area is another common reason for trip-and-fall accidents in Atlanta. Poor lighting can make it difficult to see obstacles or notice changes in the walking surface. The transition from a well-lit area to a dark area can cause temporary vision problems that result in a trip-and-fall.
Consider the following scenarios where inadequate lighting could lead to a slip-and-fall accident:
- A poorly lit parking lot results in a person tripping over a curb, gate, or another barrier
- A dimly lit stairwell causes a victim to misstep and fall
- Inadequate lighting in a hotel results in guests tripping over luggage, food trays, or other debris in the hallway
- A burned-out lightbulb outside a business prevents customers from seeing ice as they enter or exit the premises
- Dim lighting in a restaurant causes a patron to stumble over a chair or table
These are just a few examples of the many ways that insufficient lighting can result in a person being seriously injured. If you have sustained an injury due to improper lighting, you may be entitled to compensation. Wilson Rowley Trial Lawyers For Justice are experienced in handling premises liability cases – contact us today to discuss your claim.
Nursing home neglect
Atlanta nursing home residents are susceptible to falls and resulting injuries. It’s important for nursing home staff to maintain the long-term care facility in the proper manner to reduce the possibility of falls.
There are many different situations that can lead to slip-and-falls in nursing homes, including:
- Medications that cause dizziness or drowsiness
- Vision problems
- Weakness in the legs, knees, and hips
- Improperly installed handrails
- Loose carpeting or rugs
- Debris left in walkways
- Improper footwear
If your loved one has been injured in an Atlanta slip-and-fall due to nursing home negligence, contact an attorney to file an injury claim today. Our law firm will fight to ensure that all negligent parties are held liable for your loved one’s injuries.
Slip-and-falls often happen at workplaces in Atlanta, Georgia, when proper safety protocols are not being implemented and followed. Poor training, for one, is a common cause of trip-and-falls in the construction industry. All employers and employees should be given training on how to walk safely on construction sites and how to handle various tools and equipment.
Failure to provide proper training could result in an Atlanta employer or business owner being held liable for any slip-and-fall accidents that occur at the workplace. If inadequate training resulted in you being injured at your place of employment, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact our law firm to schedule a free case evaluation with an Atlanta slip and fall attorney today.
Should You Accept a Settlement Offer From the Insurance Company After a Slip-and-Fall Injury?
If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, you might be surprised how quickly you hear from the property owner’s insurance company. It may be tempting to accept the first settlement that they offer you, but take care.
Do keep in mind that insurance companies handle injury claims every day and do their best to reduce the payout amount. The first offer may not even cover your medical bills, let alone lost wages and other expenses.
Insurance companies do not have your best interests at heart after an accident. Adjustors have three goals when handling premises liability claims:
- Save money – The lower the amount the adjuster can get you to settle for, the more money is saved by the insurance company. Lower payouts to victims mean bigger bonuses for the insurance adjuster.
- Protect insured client – Insurance companies are on the side of the policyholder, not yours. They have an obligation to protect the business or property owner that they are insuring.
- Settle quickly – An insurance company may receive thousands of claims every day, so they don’t want to waste time on one case. Adjusters may pressure victims into settling the slip and fall case quickly so that they can move on to the next claim.
Insurance adjusters are trained negotiators with endless resources, including a team of experts who keep them up to date on Georgia injury law. The best way to protect your rights after a slip-and-fall injury is to have experienced slip and fall attorneys on your side.
We can match the legal expertise of the insurance company’s lawyers. What’s more, we can handle all negotiations with the insurance party and make sure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
How Much is Your Atlanta Slip-and-Fall Injury Claim Worth?
The settlement amount that slip-and-fall injury victims are awarded depends on a number of different factors. Some things that are taken into consideration are the severity of the injuries, the impact that the injuries will have on the victim’s life, the amount of negligence on the part of the land or property owner, and the amount of economic hardship suffered.
During your consultation with your attorney, we will discuss with you the details of your claim with you and calculate the value of your personal injury case. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, Georgia slip and fall attorneys may pursue damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
When Slip and Fall Lawyers Are Needed
If you have sustained slip-and-fall injuries due to an accident in Atlanta, Georgia, contact Wilson Rowley Trial Lawyers For Justice today. Our law firm is proud to help Atlanta residents who have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident. Joseph Wilson is one of many respected slip and fall lawyers in Atlanta and has years of experience in handling premises liability cases in the State of Georgia.
When you’re a client of our law firm, you’re not just another case to us. We know that each client has his or her own unique case and situation. Joseph Wilson takes time to sit down with each new client and understand the cause of your accident, the extent of your injuries, and the reasons why you are filing a slip and fall claim. Because we care about our clients and treat each of you with the care and respect you deserve.
To schedule a free initial consultation on your slip and fall case, call us at 844-JOE-WINS or fill out our contact form below. Contact us today to ensure that your rights are protected and you don’t miss the opportunity to receive the just and fair settlement or ruling that you are legally entitled to.
Call us today at (844) 563-9467.